St. Andrew's Episcopal Church


St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

Designed by Gordon Lloyd, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church is the oldest in Ann Arbor, dating back to 1868.

Read more in St. Andrew's Episcopal Church by Grace Shackman, Ann Arbor Architecture Archive: 306 North Division Street by Susan Wineberg and Marjorie Reade, and Ann Arbor Goes to Church.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.




Man Looking at Chicken on Lap, BL005499


Man Looking at Chicken on Lap, BL005499

Read about Saline Valley Farms in Ann Arbor Observer: Then & Now.

Bentley Image Bank: BL005499

Keywords: farms, farming, agriculture, Saline Valley Farms, poultry




Hog Barn, BL005447


Hog Barn, BL005447

Read about Saline Valley Farms in Ann Arbor Observer: Then & Now.

Bentley Image Bank: BL005447

Keywords: farms, agriculture, farming, Saline Valley Farm




Adam and Pauline Goetz standing in front of Athens Press


Adam and Pauline Goetz standing in front of Athens Press

The Athens Press second home was a storefront at 208 North Main.

Read more in The Athens Press on Main Street by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Larry & Paulette Goetz.




Delhi after the 1917 tornado, looking south.


Delhi after the 1917 tornado, looking south.

Delhi after the 1917 tornado, looking south.

Read more in Delhi Village by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Al Gallup.




Dupper children in front of their home and the barn


Dupper children in front of their home and the barn

The Dupper family lived at 439 Fifth Street, now the north end of the Bach School playground, and ran a beer distributorship from their barn.

Read more in 439 Fifth Street: From Drinking Spot to Play Yard by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Louis Velker.




Plymouth Road looking east into Dixboro, ca. 1916


Plymouth Road looking east into Dixboro, ca. 1916

Plymouth Road looking east, ca. 1916, eight years before it was paved.

Read more in Dixboro by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Tom Freeman.




Fred Dupper


Fred Dupper

Fred Dupper behind the counter of his shop.

Read more in 439 Fifth Street: From Drinking Spot to Play Yard by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Louis Velker.




Eli Gallup's house after the Delhi tornado, 1917


Eli Gallup's house after the Delhi tornado, 1917

The tornado demolished the house that Eli Gallup was renting and threw his Model T across the road.

Read more in Delhi Village by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Al Gallup.




Washtenaw County Infirmary, ca. 1970


Washtenaw County Infirmary, ca. 1970

An 1830 Michigan law required each county to have a poorhouse. The county infirmary, the successor to the poorhouse, was for poor people who needed continual medical care. Built in 1917, it closed in 1971 and was torn down in 1979.

Read more in The County Poor House by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Washtenaw County.




Syndicate content