Dr. David Cowie


Dr. David Cowie

Dr. David Cowie is best remembered today as the instigator of adding iodine to salt to prevent goiters.

Read more in The Private Hospital Era by Grace Shackman and Medicine in Ann Arbor.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.




Ann Arbor Tire Supply, formerly the 1838 jail


Ann Arbor Tire Supply, formerly the 1838 jail

After the jail moved to downtown Ann Arbor, the old jail building on North Main was converted first to a private home and then to a gas station.

Read more in The 1838 Jail by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Summary: Bentley, nobib




Orrin White House


Orrin White House

The Orrin White house across the street from Huron High School is believed to be built by Steven Mills, the same mason who constructed Cobblestone Farm.

Read more in Cobblestone Houses in Washtenaw County by Grace Shackman and 2940 Fuller Road by Marjorie Reade & Susan Wineberg.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL001550




Louis Otto's Band


Louis Otto's Band

Louis Otto's band marching down North University, returning from playing at a Forest Hills Memorial Day program. Note Jonas Otto, son of one of the band members, riding near the band. He was later reprimanded.

Read more in Otto's Band by Grace Shackman and Ann Arbor Founders: The Music Makers.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.




Henry Otto's Band


Henry Otto's Band

Henry Otto's band in front of the old courthouse.

Read more in Otto's Band by Grace Shackman and Ann Arbor Founders: The Music Makers.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.




Allen's Creek meets Huron River below Argo Dam


Allen's Creek meets Huron River below Argo Dam

Invisible for most of its course, Allen's Creek emerges to join the Huron below Argo Dam.

Read more in The Rise and Fall of Allen's Creek by Grace Shackman, Allen Creek Valley Shapes the Town, and Industry and Recreation on Allen Creek.

Image courtesy of Stan Shackman.




Washtenaw County Poor House


Washtenaw County Poor House

The Washtenaw County Poor House, on Washtenaw near Platt, housed a variety of unfortunates, from the insane, handicapped, retarded, and injured, to the just plain down on their luck. An 1830 Michigan law required each county to have a poor house.

Read more in The County Poor House by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL001570




Trolley at Main & Washington


Trolley at Main & Washington

An open summer trolley car pauses to pick up a passenger at the corner of Main and Washington early in the century. (The old courthouse tower is in the background.) The large white sign on the front of the car advertises a 10 cent round-trip fare to a baseball game at the county fairgrounds (now Burns Park).

Read more in Ann Arbor's Streetcars by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.




Delhi Village, 1874 plat map


Delhi Village, 1874 plat map

Delhi, looking north, in 1874 when it was still a thriving mill town, with homes and mills lining both sides of the Huron. It was all downhill from there: the first mill closed the same year.

Read more in Delhi Village by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL001549




John Haarer & his new photography studio, ca. 1889


John Haarer & his new photography studio, ca. 1889

John Haarer posed proudly in late 1880s in front of his impressive new photography studio and bookstore on West Liberty.

Read more in John Haarer Photography Studio by Grace Shackman and Historic Buildings, Ann Arbor Michigan: 113 West Liberty Street by Marjorie Reade & Susan Wineberg.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.




Syndicate content