Prochnow's Dairy Lunch, 1918


Prochnow's Dairy Lunch, 1918

For almost four decades, Theodore Prochnow's lunch counter was part of a "busy and vibrant" block opposite the old courthouse. This photo was taken near the end of World War I; Prochnow is probably the man third from left.

Read more in Prochnow's Dairy Lunch by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Doug Price.




Dixboro Store


Dixboro Store

An economic boom created by paving Plymouth caused several area businesses to expand, such as the Dixboro Store.

Read more in Dixboro by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Tom Freeman.

Keywords: Staroline Gasoline, E.M. Gibb Firestone Tire Service




Wuerth Theater, ca. 1916


Wuerth Theater, ca. 1916

Wuerth Theater, 320 South Main, showed the first talkie in 1929. This photo shows the marquee advertising Behind the Mask, starring Jack Holt, released in 1916.

Read more in Cinema's First Century by Grace Shackman, Ann Arbor Streets: Downtwon Movie Theaters, and Ann Arbor Founders: Movies Come to Ann Arbor.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.




Close-up of herringbone cobblestone construction, Cobblestone Farm


Close-up of herringbone cobblestone construction, Cobblestone Farm

Cobblestone houses, built from stones small enough to hold in one hand, are very labor intensive because the construction process entails putting in the stones one by one.

Read more in Cobblestone Houses in Washtenaw County by Grace Shackman and 2781 Packard Road by Marjorie Reade & Susan Wineberg.

Image courtesy of Stan Shackman.




Cobblestone Farm


Cobblestone Farm

The city-owned property known as Cobblestone Farm, built in 1844 for naval surgeon Benajah Ticknor, is today the site of many community activities.

Read more in Cobblestone Houses in Washtenaw County by Grace Shackman and 2781 Packard Road by Marjorie Reade & Susan Wineberg.

Image courtesy of Stan Shackman.




Liberty St, with John Haarer's Photography Studio, ca. 1880


Liberty St, with John Haarer's Photography Studio, ca. 1880

John Haarer moved his studio to the modest frame building, left, in the mid-1870s. He replaced it in 1888 with the Romanesque structure that still exists. This photo was taken on German American Day.

Read more in John Haarer Photography Studio by Grace Shackman and Historic Buildings, Ann Arbor Michigan: 113 West Liberty Street.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL003536

Summary: Bentley, bib; aastreets




Ann Arbor Y.M.C.A., now Lane Hall


Ann Arbor Y.M.C.A., now Lane Hall

Post card view of Lane Hall when it was still the Y.M.C.A.

Read more in Lane Hall by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.




Moviegoers lined up at the Michigan Theater, 1949


Moviegoers lined up at the Michigan Theater, 1949

People lined up to see It Happens Every Spring, written by Ann Arbor's Shirley Smith.

Read more in Cinema's First Century by Grace Shackman, Historic Buildings, Ann Arbor Michigan: 519-609 East Liberty Street by Marjorie Reade & Susan Wineberg, Ann Arbor Streets: Town and Gown: Entertainment and Changing Culture, and Ann Arbor Founders: The Michigan Theater.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL005321




Kempf Family on their front porch


Kempf Family on their front porch

Reuben and Pauline Kempf, on right, 6-year-old daughter Elsa, and a friend, Marie Durheim (at left on the top step, beside Reuben Kempf), enjoy the Kempf front porch in 1890.

Read more in The Remarkable History of the Kempf House by Grace Shackman, The Germans Settle In, and Liberty and Division: Residential life in mid-19th-century Ann Arbor.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.




Cowie Private Hospital building in 2006


Cowie Private Hospital building in 2006

Dr. David Cowie took care of patients in his private hospital at 320 S. Division, now an apartment building.

Read more in The Private Hospital Era by Grace Shackman, 320-322 South Division Street, and Medicine in Ann Arbor.

Image courtesy of Stan Shackman.




Syndicate content