Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service that allows Ann Arbor District Library cardholders to borrow materials (books, photocopies of magazine articles, and microfilm) not found in our collection. The time frame for obtaining interlibrary loan items varies depending upon availability, shipping, and distance of the lending library (generally from two to four weeks).
For more information about ILL services, please visit the ILL FAQ page.
If you have any questions, please call the Downtown Reference Desk at (734) 327-4525.
Choose the most convenient way to submit your interlibrary loan request:
- For books through MeLCat: The Library participates in the Michigan eLibrary Catalog (MeLCat), a state-wide shared catalog offering patron-initiated interlibrary loan service. You can search the catalogs of public, academic and special libraries throughout Michigan and place your own requests for books at MeLCat. Please note that you must use your name and library card number to login to MeLCat, not your aadl.org username and password.
- For journal articles, microfilm, and books NOT available through MeLCat: fill out the online form to have the request processed by the ILL department. You can identify titles by browsing WorldCat, a worldwide online catalog of books. Please be aware that not all items listed in WorldCat are available to borrow.
- In Person: ask for assistance in person at any AADL location.
- By Telephone: call the Downtown Reference Desk at (734) 327-4525.
*Due to a MeL policy change that occurred July 1, 2009, AADL patrons may no longer borrow audio-visual material. Please Contact Us to suggest a title for purchase or share your comments or questions.
The following items are not available through Interlibrary Loan:
- Audio-visual materials (videos, DVDs, CDs, BOCs, BOCDs, e-books, etc)
- Titles owned by the Ann Arbor District Library (available, in circulation, or on hold)
- Items published within the past 6 months
- Items held at libraries outside of the United States and Canada
The following items are difficult to obtain through Interlibrary Loan:
- Reference and genealogy books
- Rare or unusual publications
- Items not listed in WorldCat