What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan is a service that allows Ann Arbor District Library cardholders to borrow materials not owned by the Ann Arbor District Library system. Our patrons have access to two methods of requesting interloans. One is the Michigan eLibrary Catalog MeLCat, where patrons may place their own requests. The second is to have the request processed by the ILL department for materials not available through MeLCat.
Who can use Interlibrary Loan?
Anyone with a current AADL L-card and less than $10 in fees can place an interlibrary loan request.
What types of materials can I request through Interlibrary Loan?
You can request books (including music scores, pamphlets, dissertations, theses, and government documents), photocopies of articles or book chapters, and microfilm.
The following items are not available through Interlibrary Loan:
- Audio-visual materials (videos, DVDs, CDs, BOCs, BOCDs, e-books, etc)
- Titles owned by the Ann Arbor District Library (available, in circulation, or on hold)
- New books On Order for the Ann Arbor District Library
- Items published within the past 6 months
- Items held at libraries outside of the United States and Canada
The following items are difficult to obtain through Interlibrary Loan:
- Reference and genealogy books
- Rare or unusual publications
- Items not listed in WORLDCAT
How do I request material from ILL?
You may request ILL materials by doing the following:
- Place the request yourself using MeLCat
- Submit the following online form
- Ask for assistance in person at any AADL location
- Call the Downtown Reference Desk at (734)327-4525
How many requests can I have in at one time?
MeL limits requests to 50 total per patron in any combination of requested, received, or returned. The title stays on the patron’s record until it is received by the lending library.
How much does Interlibrary Loan cost?
This is a free service provided to anyone who qualifies for an Ann Arbor District Library card. Charges will be incurred for lost or damaged materials. Overdue fines are $0.25 per day.
What happens if I lose or damage my interlibrary loan item?
If you lose or damage an interlibrary loan item, you will be responsible for paying any charges determined by the lending library.
What is the check out period for interlibrary loan items?
Books obtained through MeLCat circulate for three weeks. Due dates for materials that come from other sources will vary as the loan period is set by the lending library.
How long does it take to receive an ILL item?
It depends on the source. Items requested through MeLCat should arrive within 1-2 weeks. The length of time for ILLs requested through other methods varies and can be from 2-4 weeks, or in some cases longer. The time frame for all ILLs depends on availability, shipping, and distance from the lending library.
How will I be contacted when my material arrives?
You will be notified via email or mailed printed notice, depending on the information you supplied when you got your library card.The status of requested MeL and ILL items can be viewed on My Account.
Where do I pick up my material and how long will it be held?
ILL books are held behind the Circulation Desk at the AADL location selected when the item was requested. Materials remain on the holdshelf for six days. The last date that the item is available for pick up is included in the notice that it is ready for pick up. The item must be checked out on the account of the person who requested it.
Microfilm and Library Use Only materials are held at the Downtown Library’s 2nd Floor Reference desk.
Can I renew my ILL books?
- Books borrowed through MeLCat can be renewed by the patron using My Account or by calling the Material Requests and Renewals line: (734) 327-4219. The window for renewing items borrowed through MeLCat is three (3) days prior to due date through the due date. Items may not be renewed once they are overdue. Renewals are one time only and for three weeks. Renewals may be denied if the lending library has a request for the item, so be sure to check the status after clicking Renew when using My Account.
- For items borrowed through OCLC WorldCat ( ILLs obtained through sources other than MeLCat), the window for renewing items is three (3) days prior to due date through the due date. Items may not be renewed once they are overdue. Renewals are one time only and for either two or three weeks (depending on the lending library's preference). To renew, send an email to iloan at aadl.org or call (734) 327-4219. Indicate you would like to renew an ILL item giving your name, library card number, the title and author. You will be given a tentative three week renewal. You will be contacted if the due date given by the lending library is different or denied. OCLC WorldCat ILL items cannot be renewed online using My Account.
Whom should I contact if I have a problem or a question?
MeLCat: call the Material Requests and Renewals line: (734) 327-4219.
For items borrowed through OCLC WorldCat (ILLs obtained through sources other than MeLCat), call the Ann Arbor District Library Interlibrary Loan Department at 734-327-4525 or send email to iloan at aadl.org