Duke Ellington, 1940


Duke Ellington, 1940

In 1940 "Duke Ellington and his Famous Orchestra" played at the Michigan for two days between film screenings. The Ann Arbor News display ad promised "primitive rhythms, weird melodies, amazing syncopations…music no other band can play".

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Mark Braun (Mr. B) performing at the Street Art Fair, ca. 1980s


Mark Braun (Mr. B) performing at the Street Art Fair,  ca. 1980s

Mark Bruan (Mr. B) performing at the Street Art Fair, ca. 1980s

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Reuben Kempf/Lyra Gesangverein


Reuben Kempf/Lyra Gesangverein

Music teacher Reuben Kempf founded the Lyra Gesangverein, a popular German men's chorus. His daughter Elsa, here about age 6 in 1890, was their mascot. The silk banner made for the group by their wives and sweethearts is at the Kempf House Museum on South Division Street.

Bentley Image Bank: BL003586

Rights Held By: 
Image Courtesy of the Washtenaw County Historical Society



Henry Otto's Band


Henry Otto's Band

Henry Otto's Band, seen here in 1875, was the town's largest and most popular band. Henry's son Louis ran the band after 1895 and, according to family legend, was the first to play the UM fight song, "The Victors."

Rights Held By: 
Image Courtesy of the Washtenaw County Historical Society



Syndicate content