Comics Are Great! 68 – Watson and Holmes
This time we talk with the team behind the new Watson and Holmes comic about iterating on public domain stories, new publishing strategies, and how a cartoonist might think about “acting” through their characters.
And we’re joined once again by Sharon Iverson of the Ann Arbor District Library for a nautically-themed round of book recommendations!
Links mentioned in this episode (thanks to Eric Klooster for collecting them!):
- New Paradigm Studios
- Techdirt article on Holmes’ status as a public domain character
- Jim Zub’s article on the economics of indie comics publishing
- Brandon and Paul’s appearance on Comicast episode 44
- ComicsPlus iOS and Android app
- Rick Leonardi
- Brandon Perlow’s career as a visual effects artist
- Keith Giffen
- Pippi Longstocking
- Epic Illustrated
Comics Recommendations (some affiliate links):
- Northlanders Vol. 1: Sven The Returned
- Cap’n Cat: Former Shark Hunter
- Salt Water Taffy: Calderas Revenge!
- Mr. Big: A Tale of Pond Life
- Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson
- Rasl Volume 1: The Drift
- Steve Canyon Volume 1: 1947-1948
- The Goon Collection
- Winters in Lavelle
- Pickman’s Model
To download the episode right-click link below and save link as...