Comics Are Great! 40 – Jim Henson Was Complicated
WARNING: If you wish to avoid spoilers or opinions on The Muppets movie, I suggest that you save this episode until after you’ve seen the film.
In this special audio-only episode of Comics Are Great! I’m joined by Dave Roman for a talk about the new Muppets film. We discuss some of the unique storytelling tricks used in the film, revisit some of our thoughts on the Mary Sue character (which we first broached in Comics Are Great! episode 03), and examine some of the special considerations one encounters when approaching storytelling with characters like the Muppets. Throughout our discussion we tackle complicated topics such as author intent, whether or not a franchised intellectual property must be frozen in time, and interpreting the mind of a brilliant creator.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- It’s a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
- A Muppet Family Christmas
- The Great Muppet Caper
- The Muppet Movie
- The Muppets Take Manhattan
- The Muppet Christmas Carol
- Muppet Treasure Island
- The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz
- Muppets From Space
- The Dark Crystal
- Muppets Tonight
- Elizabeth Stevens’ essay on the Muppets
- Frank Oz reveals why he turned down The Muppets
- Jim Henson’s Fantastic World exhibition
- Life in the Age of Fanfiction
- AG Bear
- Astronaut Academy
- Delilah Dirk
To download the episode right-click link below and save link as...