- Published: New York : First Second, 2013.
- Year Published: 2013
- Edition: First edition.
- Description: 328 pages : chiefly color illustratons ; 22 cm
- Language: English
- Format: Graphic Novel
Recently Listed On
- Reading 'Round the World
- Booklist's Top 10 Graphic Novels For Youth 2014
- Eisner Award Nominated Comics/Graphic Novels 2014
- The A.V. Club's Best Comics of 2013: Graphic Novels and Art Comics
- Award-Winning Books for Guys (Reading Level Range: Grades 6-12)
- Publisher's Weekly Best Books 2013, Comics
- Graphic Novel Reporter's Best of 2013
- Library Journal's Best Books 2013: Graphic Novels
- Top 10 Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults 2014
- Great Graphic Novels for Teens 2014
boxer rebellion magical realism graphic novel historical fiction china national book award for young people's literature finalist
Login to add tags
There are currently 2 available
Where To Find It
Call number: Teen Graphic Novel / Boxers
Available Copies: Downtown Teen, 3rd Floor, Traverwood Teen
Reviews & Summaries
Boxers and Saints are a pair of graphic novels that dip into the history of the Boxer Rebellion, and are told from different perspectives. They both rely on magical realism. This one gives the point of view of the Boxers – native Chinese who fight to overcome the ruling dynasty and rid the country of foreigners. Saints is written from the perspective of the Chinese Christians (who are called ‘secondary devils’ because of their affiliation with the ‘foreign devils’). They are parallel in time and overlap in a few places in terms of plot points and characters. One of the most interesting aspects is how certain characters are given more depth if you read both books.
Login to write a review of your own.