- Published: New York : Gallery Books, 2013.
- Year Published: 2013
- Edition: First Gallery Books trade paperback edition.
- Description: 336 pages ; 21 cm
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Self-realization in women -- Fiction.
- Bookstores -- Fiction. -- New York (State) -- New York
- Antiquarian booksellers -- Fiction. -- New York (State) -- New York
Recently Listed On
Login to add tags
There are no copies available and 20 requests on 7 copies
Where To Find It
Call number: Fiction
I must admit that I expected a stronger novel from The Bookstore. It is billed as "a love letter to books, to Manhattan, and to human goodness" and fell short on at least two of the three counts. I have read quite a few books that use books and New York City as central themes or characters in their own right, and when it works, it really works. Here, unfortunately, I was never convinced that it was an 'only in New York' story despite the world building and book store, though charming and filled with quirky characters, did not quite convince me of a love of books. Still, Esme is a charming character and it is a mildly entertaining read, even if the characters don't stick around in your head afterward.
This book received good reviews but it didn't really do anything for me. Esme's character could have been written with more depth... I was looking for a good book with a pro-life message - it was not that great.
Login to write a review of your own.