- Published: [United States] : First Run Features, 
- Year Published: 2012
- Description: 1 videodisc (83 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Language: English
- Format: DVD
- Pruitt-Igoe (Housing project : Saint Louis, Mo.)
- Public housing -- History. -- Missouri -- Saint Louis
- Low-income housing -- Government policy -- History. -- Missouri -- Saint Louis
- Documentary films.
Recently Listed On
Login to add tags
The Pruitt-Igoe myth
There are no copies available
Where To Find It
Call number: DVD 363.5 Pr
"Special Features. Bonus Film: 'More Than One Thing (Dir. Steve Carver; 30 min; 1969). DIrector's Commentary by Chad Freidrichs. Additional Interviews. Pruitt-Igoe Site Tour." ---from container.
Built in 1956, Pruitt-Igoe was heralded as the model public housing project of the future, 'the poor man's penthouse.' Two decades later, it ended in rubble, its razing an iconic event that the architectural theorist Charles Jencks famously called the death of modernism. The footage and images of its implosion have helped to perpetuate a myth of failure, a failure that has been used to critique Modernist architecture, attack public assistance programs, and stigmatize public housing residents.
DVD ; NTSC.
No reviews have been written yet. You could be the first!
Login to write a review of your own.