- Published: New York : Random House, 2012.
- Year Published: 2012
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 465 p. ; 22 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 760
- Identity -- Fiction.
- Self-actualization (Psychology) -- Fiction.
- Dragons -- Fiction.
- Secrets -- Fiction.
- Music -- Fiction.
- Courts and courtiers -- Fiction.
- Fantasy fiction.
Recently Listed On
- Popular Teen Fantasy Fiction
- 5 star books
- For Grayson
- Gentle Reads (Ninth through Twelfth Grade)
- Gentle Reads (Sixth through Eighth Grade)
- YALSA's Best Fiction for Young Adults 2013
- 2013 Teen Top Ten Nominations
- May School Visits 2013 - Sharon MS
- Mock Printz 2013 Goodreads
- Printz 2013 Contenders
Login to add tags
There are no copies available
Where To Find It
Call number: Teen Fiction
In a world where dragons and humans coexist in an uneasy truce and dragons can assume human form, Seraphina, whose mother died giving birth to her, grapples with her own identity amid magical secrets and royal scandals, while she struggles to accept and develop her extraordinary musical talents.
The worldbuilding is beautiful and deep, the characters are rich, the interactions are worth your time. This is one that will join my shelves as a permanent addition so that I can lend it out and be sure that my children read and reread it in a few years. Clearly the beginning of a possible series, I look forward to what comes next!
(There were a few minor details that detracted for me, such as having a young woman who had never been on a horse ride for half a day convincingly, only failing to know how to get off, then be fine for a few hours, then ride for another half a day. I'm sorry, but that is impossible. She would be so sore that she wouldn't be able to walk after that outing, even if she somehow pulled off the fake skill set. But this kind of thing is a minor quibble compared to the outstanding overall novel. Truly.)
Login to write a review of your own.