- Published: New York : Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2010.
- Year Published: 2010
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 295 p.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 700
- Cerebral palsy -- Fiction.
- People with disabilities -- Fiction.
- Communication -- Fiction.
- Interpersonal relations -- Fiction.
- Genius -- Fiction.
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Issues / Special Needs
- JUVENILE FICTION / Family / General (see also headings under Social Issues)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Issues / General (see also headings under Family)
Recently Listed On
- Young Hoosier Book Award Winners
- Public list
- Abilities with disabilities - Grades PreK - 7
- Disabilities in Fiction
- Margaret A. Edwards Award
- Most Popular Kids Books
- Talking to kids about special needs
- Checkout History
- Popular Urban Fiction Books for Teens
Login to add tags
Out of my mind
There are no copies available and 6 requests on 7 copies
Where To Find It
Call number: Y Fiction / Draper, Sharon
Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.
Like _Wonder_, this helps the reader see the world from someone else's perspective, but this time from the mind and wheelchair of a girl with quadriplegic cerebral palsy. She is 11, and has never spoken a word in her life. She knows how the world sees her, and wishes that she could tell them all that goes on in her mind. Then one day, with the help of people who believe in her, she finds a way, and everything changes....
Absolutely fantastic. This will stretch the minds and hearts of child and adult readers alike. A wonderful story, a life-altering perspective, and my son didn't care that he was reading about a girl. It must have been well done.
Definitely works for 4th-7th grades. Does your child have a realistic fiction book assignment? Try this one. Get it in your teacher's classroom. Bring it home and leave it on the coffee table. Read it yourself and then hand it to your spouse.
Highly, highly recommended.
best books I have ever read because of its
Login to write a review of your own.