- Published: London : Puffin, 2005.
- Year Published: 2005
- Description: 192 p. : ill. ; 20 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 760
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Fiction. -- Evacuation of civilians -- Wales
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Fiction. -- Personal narratives, Wales
- Children's stories.
Recently Listed On
- 6th grade and 7th grade Historical Fiction
- HiLo: high school students - reading 4th to 6th grade levels
- Phoenix Award - Children's Lit Award
- World War Two Fiction For Kids
Login to add tags
There are currently 2 available
Where To Find It
Call number: Y Fiction / Bawden, Nina
Available Copies: Downtown Youth, Malletts Youth
During World War II,Albert, Carrie and young Nick are war-time evacuees. Carrie and Nick are billeted in Wales with old Mr Evans, who is so mean and cold, and his timid mouse of a sister, Lou, who suddenly starts having secrets. Their friend Albert is luckier, living in Druid's Bottom with warm-hearted Hepzibah Green and the strange Mister Johnny, who can talk to animals but not to human beings. Carrie and Nick visit him there whenever they can for Hepzibah makes life exciting and enticing with her stories and delicious cooking. Gradually they begin to feel more at ease in their war-time home, but then, in trying to heal the rift between Mr. Evans and his estranged sister, and save Druid's Bottom, Carrie does a terrible thing which is to haunt her for years to come. Carrie revisits Wales as an adult and tells the story to her own children.
Originally published London: Gollancz, 1973.
No reviews have been written yet. You could be the first!
Login to write a review of your own.