- Published: New York : Little, Brown and Co., c2008.
- Year Published: 2008
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 528 p.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Custer, George Armstrong, -- 1839-1876.
- United States. -- Army -- History -- 19th century.
- Little Bighorn, Battle of the, Mont., 1876.
- Indians of North America -- Government relations -- 1869-1934.
- West (U.S.) -- History, Military -- 19th century.
- United States -- Military policy.
Recently Listed On
lakota sitting bull crazy horse native american history sioux native american history of north america cheyenne
Login to add tags
A terrible glory : Custer and the Little Bighorn - the last great battle of the American West
There are no copies available
Where To Find It
Call number: 973.82 Do
Reviews & Summaries
It has been said that as many books have been written about the Battle Of The Little Big Horn as the Battle of Gettysbury, by any measure a far more significant engagement, involving scores of thousands more combatants. Among that vast literature there must be something more readable than this. Bogged down in detail, this is for the specialist only, and even at that there is no mention of the great buffalo robe "decorated" with painted images given by Sioux chiefs to President Theodore Roosevelt, still to be seen at his home in Oyster Bay, New York, which was recognized only many years later as the Sioux record of the battle. And no mention of the archaeological studies of Fox and Scott more than twenty years ago which used modern forensic technology to track the movements of individual weapons across the battlefield. There must be something better.
Login to write a review of your own.