- Published: New York, NY : Crown Publishers, c2003.
- Year Published: 2003
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 447 p.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 1170
- 0375725601 :
- 0609608444 :
- Mudgett, Herman W., -- 1861-1896.
- World's Columbian Exposition -- Chicago, Ill.) -- (1893 :
- Serial murderers -- Biography. -- Illinois -- Chicago
- Serial murders -- Case studies. -- Illinois -- Chicago
Recently Listed On
- For Fans of Serial
- Historical Non-Fiction Favorites
- Recommended Books
- books to read 2014
- Interesting Historical Nonfiction
- Jennifer's Stuff
- Checkout History
- My Favorite Summer Reads: A Historical List
Login to add tags
Devil in the white city : murder, magic, and madness at the fair that changed America
There are no copies available and 8 requests on 5 copies
Where To Find It
Call number: 364.152 La
Evils imminent -- Prologue, aboard the Olympic (1912) -- Frozen music (Chicago, 1890-1891) -- An awful fight -- In the white city -- Cruelty revealed (1894-5) Property of H.H. Holmes -- Epilogue, the last crossing.
Reviews & Summaries
How do you take a story about an actual serial killer who constructed an actual murder castle--complete with secret passages and rooms and chutes--and make it BORING?
The Chicago World's Fair stuff was more interesting by far than the H.H. Holmes chapters. But the lists and menus he included made it feel like he was stuffing a term paper to get it up to the minimum required page count.
Larson apparently tried to take a historical narrative and spice it up by talking about how people felt or what they thought, and to me it often didn't ring true. I think I'd have enjoyed this immensely if the author had picked a style--biography/historical account or novelization--and stuck with it.
Login to write a review of your own.