Taxicab company, 1916s


Taxicab company, 1916s

Mechanics and drivers in front of Walker's taxi cab company around 1916 — after the horses were gone.

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Ushers at the Michigan Theater


Ushers at the Michigan Theater

Proclaimed a "shrine of entertainment" when it opened in 1928, the Michigan Theater boasted an army of uniformed ushers.

Frame location: East side of South State Street, near the curb, facing west down East Liberty Street.

Collection info: Observer, 11/88, p 66

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



stone slabs for sidewalks, 1880s


stone slabs for sidewalks, 1880s

In the 1880s John Baumgardner's crew unloaded stone slabs for sidewalks and carted them up to his stone works at Detroit and Catherine streets.

Frame location: on Broadway Bridge

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Luick Brothers employees, 1895


Luick Brothers employees, 1895

Gottlob Luick in a white shirt stands in the Fifth Avenue door way of his building in 1895. Emmanuel sits on the far right, young Albert Luick sits on the Ground, and Oscar Luick stands at the far left. The Luicks worked in the shop alongside a changing ethnic mix of hired laborers. Germans, Irish, and African Americans established their presence in this neighborhood before the Civil War and built churches nearby. Italians and Greeks joined them after 1900.

Frame location: West side of Fifth, near curb, just north of Detroit Street, facing northeast

Collection info: Sturgis Collection

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Gas station run by the Ann Arbor Cooperative Society


Gas station run by the Ann Arbor Cooperative Society

Baumgardner's buildings were replaced in the 1930s by a gas station later run by the Ann Arbor Cooperative Society. The building was converted to a restaurant in 1977.

Frame location: In Sculpture Park, southeast corner of Fourth and Catherine, facing northeast down Detroit Street

Collection info: OAAT-1, p

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Employees In The Offices Of Washtenaw Abstract, ca. 1915


Employees In The Offices Of Washtenaw Abstract, ca. 1915

Employees in the offices Of Washtenaw Abstract, ca. 1915

Frame location: On North wall of Courthouse

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Ann Arbor Postmen, ca. 1900


Ann Arbor Postmen, ca. 1900

Ann Arbor Postmen pose in front of the Post Office ca.1900

Frame location: On Main West side of Main, South of Ann

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Postal Telegraph Cable Co. operators in the Cornwell Building


Postal Telegraph Cable Co. operators in the Cornwell Building

Postal Telegraph Cable Co-Operators in the Cornwell (Hamilton) Building at East Huron and North Fourth, mid-1890s. This was one of many telegraph offices that once faced Courthouse Square.

Frame location: On Main West side of Main, South of Ann

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Bruno St. James's staff ready to serve customers, ca. 1900


Bruno St. James's staff ready to serve customers, ca. 1900

Bruno St. James's staff ready to serve customers, ca. 1900

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Metzger Restaurant staff


Metzger Restaurant staff

Metzger family members and staff. Top row: Marie, third from left; Christian Kuhn, third from right. Bottom row: young Walter Metzger on left.

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Syndicate content