Applied Dynamics International, 1975


Applied Dynamics International, 1975
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



New Hope Baptist Church, 1972


New Hope Baptist Church, 1972
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



The Mademoiselle Shoppe, 1935


The Mademoiselle Shoppe, 1935

The Mademoiselle Shoppe at 1108 South University sold everything from evening gowns to cosmetics, perfume, and bobby sox. Across the street, Tice's men's shop rented tuxedos.

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




June Grey Shoppe, 1945


June Grey Shoppe, 1945

The June Grey Shoppe at 1121 South University

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Entrance to the Ritz Dine and Dance


Entrance to the Ritz Dine and Dance

Catering to the dance craze spawned during Prohibition, the Ritz Dine and Dance opened at 209 State Street in 1930. Featuring "Music and dancing at all hours," one could dance nearby at the Hut, the Den, Drake's Sandwich Shop, and Granger's Dancing Academy.

Frame location: East side of South State Street, near the curb, facing west down East Liberty Street.

Collection info: Michigan Alumnus 9/13/30, p741

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Ladies Library Plaque, 1885


Ladies Library Plaque, 1885

Plaque on the Ladies' Library building, built in 1885.

Frame location: Corner of State and Huron, Northwest

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Advertisement for the American Hotel, 1890s


Advertisement for the American Hotel, 1890s

The 1890s sign on what had been built as John J. Wagner Jr.'s Carriage and Blacksmith Shop on the corner of Ashley points across Washington Street to Michael Staebler's American Hotel (originally the Germania). The Stabelers ran other businesses nearby: groceries, coal, bicycles, and autos. The awning shades Oswald Dietz's Saloon, the first of a series of saloons to occupy this space for over a hundred years.

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Ann Arbor Central Mills


Ann Arbor Central Mills

Ann Arbor Central Mills on First Street between Liberty and Washington was one of two large flour mills built on Allen Creek. Constructed in stages after 1882 to be near the new railroad, it used the foundations of Hauser's 1853 city brewery, which had used the waters of Allen Creek. Photo after 1900.

Frame location: North side of Liberty, east of northeast corner of Ashley, in front of #120 West Liberty, near curb

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




site2_wall_images


site2_wall_images

Frame location: East side of Main, just south of southeast corner of Liberty north of planter near curb

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Klines Department Store, 1930


Klines Department Store, 1930

In 1930 Klines Department Store took over the entire Pratt Block. It was the first chain store to challenge local businesses like Mack & Co. with cheaper, mass-produced goods. Next door, Sears Roebuck built a sleek new store in 1940. Until the 1970s Main Street was able to support both chains as well as Goodyear's, the remaining locally owned department store. Sears left downtown in 1974 for the Briarwood shopping mall. Goodyear's closed soon after. Left to itself downtown, Klines expanded into the old Sears space before closing in 1994. By then, most of Main Street's stores had been converted from traditional service and retail businesses to restaurants, specialty shops, and galleries.

Frame location: Northeast corner wall, just east of Main on Liberty

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library




Syndicate content