Gregory Block, ca. 1868


Gregory Block, ca. 1868

By the late 1870s, Ann Arbor was a thriving and prosperous business center. The streets facing Courthouse Square contained some of the town's grandest commercial buildings. Originally, the northwest corner of Main and Huron was the site of a small, two-story, log block house built by town founder John Allen in 1824. Later expanded and painted bright red, Allen's former home was called "Bloody Corners." It housed a tavern, inn, and store before being replaced by Ann Arbor's first large hotel, the "Franklin House." The imposing Gregory Block was built on this site in 1862. For over a century it provided space for a wide variety of establishments, including a hotel, banks, bars, bookstores, a post office, and Municipal Court offices. It became known as the Masonic Block when Masonic lodges occupied the second and third floors from 1885 to 1926. By the time of its destruction in a 1971 fire, the Gregory Block's rich architectural details had been hidden under a façade of blue and white metal panels. The present building was constructed in 1986.

Frame location: On Main and NE Corner of Huron

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Franklin House Hotel, ca. 1856


Franklin House Hotel, ca. 1856

Franklin House Hotel, ca. 1856

Frame location: On Main and NE Corner of Huron

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)


Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)

Municipal Building on Fire, night of November 9-10, 1971.

Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.



Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)


Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)

Municipal Building on Fire during night of November 9-10, 1971.

Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.



Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)


Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)

Municipal Building on Fire during night of November 9-10, 1971.

Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.



Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)


Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)

Fire-damaged Municipal Building

Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.



Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)


Municipal Court Building (NW corner Main and Huron)

Fire-damaged Municipal Building

Caption: 
Fire-Damaged Building As Seen From Atop The Hotel Sheraton
Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.



Syndicate content