stone slabs for sidewalks, 1880s


stone slabs for sidewalks, 1880s

In the 1880s John Baumgardner's crew unloaded stone slabs for sidewalks and carted them up to his stone works at Detroit and Catherine streets.

Frame location: on Broadway Bridge

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Miller's Planing Mill, 529 Detroit Street, 1874 (later the Treasure Mart)


Miller's Planing Mill, 529 Detroit Street, 1874 (later the Treasure Mart)

In 1869 John G. Miller built this large steam powered planing mill, which specialized in windows, doors, shutters, and gingerbread trim for the growing city. Detroit Street hummed with industrial activity that took advantage of the nearby railroad and lumberyards. Herman Krapf bought the mill in 1878 and ran it until 1905. Like Miller before him, he lived in the house on the left. E. J. Knowlton briefly rented space from Krapf to manufacture his nationally advertised collapsible "Universal Bath."

The automobile changed the neighborhood. A gas station replaced Schmidt's carriage factory at Detroit and Kingsley streets. At the Division Street end of the block, an auto dealership opened next to what had been the Ferguson Cart Company. In 1960 the Treasure Mart opened a consignment shop in the old mill. It was the first of many businesses that would become the Kerrytown shopping district.

Frame location: Corner of North Fifth Avenue and Detroit Street

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Baumgardner's Marble Works


Baumgardner's Marble Works

In 1890 John Baumgardner supplied cemetery monuments and building and paving stones from his shop on the northeast corner of Detroit and Catherine Streets. His stepfather, German immigrant Anton Eisele, opened a marble works to your right on this side of the street in 1868. Behind the works, Eisele built a brick home that still stands at 216 Catherine.

By the time of Eisele's death in 1887 the business had expanded across the street to include the brick Italianate building and additions seen below. Note the carved stone lintels on the building in this photo and on Eisele's house. The brick barn in the background still stands on the corner of Fifth and Catherine with an 1887 date in its front gable. Among the first in Ann Arbor to use electricity, Baumgardner changed the firm's name to the Ann Arbor Electric Granite Works, acclaimed for an "electric polishing machine that gives such a high, mirror-like finish to his work."

Frame location: In Sculpture Park, southeast corner of Fourth and Catherine, facing northeast down Detroit Street

Collection info: OAAT-2, p48

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



New Northeast Branch Library: 3000 Huron Parkway


New Northeast Branch Library: 3000 Huron Parkway

Top: A team of draft horses pull dead ash logs from the construction site of the new branch. The purpose of the horses' work was threefold: they had much less of an impact on the forest floor than machinery; the wood will be used as building material and support beams in the new branch library; and the visible support beams will serve as valuable environmental lesson on the devastation of ash trees by the Emerald Ash Borer.
Center: Architect's rendering of the new Northeast Branch.
Bottom: Construction site showing the foundation for the building in place. June, 2007.
Keywords: library, libraries, ann arbor, architecture, horses

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Pittsfield Branch Library: 2359 Oak Valley Drive


Pittsfield Branch Library: 2359 Oak Valley Drive

Top: Aerial view of the construction site. Summer, 2005.
Center: Graphic of air flow that cools the building during the summer months.
Bottom: View from the southwest. June, 2007.
Keywords: library, libraries, ann arbor, architecture

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Ann Arbor Public Library, 1957


Ann Arbor Public Library, 1957

Alden B. Dow
Dow, the son of Herbert Dow, founder of the Dow Chemical Company, spent most of his life in Midland, Michigan. Trained at the University of Michigan and the Columbia School of Architecture, Dow designed 138 buildings during his career, nearly all of them in Midland. A childhood trip to Japan “exposed Dow to two of his greatest influences as an architect: the exacting simplicity of Japanese design and the striking modernism of Frank Lloyd Wright. Dow left his mark on Ann Arbor during the middle part of the twentieth century, designing 18 public, private and university structures, including the City Hall and U of M’s Fleming Administration and ISR buildings. According to relatives, Dow was a quiet and creative man, and his designs reflected his egalitarian philosophy. In 1983, Dow was named the Architect Laureate for the state of Michigan, and is to this date the only architect to receive the honor.
*Shackman, Grace. “Alden Dow’s Ann Arbor” Ann Arbor Observed. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2006, pp. 246.
Keywords: library, libraries, ann arbor, architecture

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Constructing Artist Booths at the Street Art Fair, ca. 1980s


Constructing Artist Booths at the Street Art Fair, ca. 1980s

On verso: Milt Moore, owner of Ulrich's Bookstore & a high school student construct artist's booth for the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair on S. & E. University Avenues.

Photo credit: Brunvand Assoc. Inc., 2051 S. State Rd., Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



E.E. Kurtz Construction, 1972


E.E. Kurtz Construction, 1972
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Kitchell Contractors, Inc., 1971


Kitchell Contractors, Inc., 1971
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Argus Incorporated, 1972


Argus Incorporated, 1972
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Syndicate content