Girl on curb with police in riot gear, June 1969


Girl on curb with police in riot gear, June 1969

Officers with nightsticks, riot helmets, and gas masks form a line on South University at Church Street, June 1969

Frame location: North side of South University in plaza southeast of West Hall (Engineering Arch), facing southeast

Collection info: OOH

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Procession of students on South University, June, 1969


Procession of students on South University, June, 1969

On a hot June night in 1969, over 1,000 youths tried to "liberate" South University and turn it into a "People's Park." On the third night of escalating conflict, city police and sheriff's deputies responded to rock throwing by using tear gas and nightsticks to clear the street. This incident symbolized for many the political and social upheaval of the time.

Frame location: North side of South University in plaza southeast of West Hall (Engineering Arch), facing southeast

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



IMG_8235


IMG_8235
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



IMG_8236


IMG_8236
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



site8_wall_images


site8_wall_images
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



IMG_8228


IMG_8228
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Ann Arbor's first City Hall, 1907-1963


Ann Arbor's first City Hall, 1907-1963

Completed in 1907, Ann Arbor's first City Hall provided first-floor office space for expanding public services and a council chamber above. The eight-man Police Department had a separate entrance on Fifth Avenue. The Fire Department was already located across Huron Street in the landmark 1882 Firemen's Hall. After incorporation in 1833, the village council met sporadically in the Courthouse office of Ann Arbor's founder, John Allen, the first village president. Ordinances adopted at the first meeting dealt with matters of public safety, such as the discharge of firearms, and hogs and dogs running wild. In 1836 the village established a volunteer fire department. Putting out fires and providing cistern water to fight them cost over a third of the village's total 1848 income of $2,152. The village hired workers to ring the Presbyterian church bell to mark the hours, erect and light street lamps around the Courthouse, and repair the dirt streets. The 1851 charter made the village a city governed by a mayor and aldermen with enlarged taxing powers. The first paid police force was organized in 1871, funded by license fees on saloons and billiard tables, which were considered "sources of disorder." Until 1895 the city continued to lease space in the County Courthouse. Expanding services then made it necessary to rent offices on North Fourth Avenue in the new "City Building" and by 1907 to build a new City Hall.

Frame location: On City Hall lawn, northeast corner of Fifth and Huron, inside sidewalk crossing and south of large spruce tree, facing southwest

Collection info: Sturgis Collection

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Eight-man police force, 1908


Eight-man police force, 1908

The 1908 eight-man police force coped with rowdy students, crowds of visitors and a growing population. Patrolman William Blackburn (left rear), former fifth ward constable, was the city's first African American policeman

Frame location: On City Hall lawn, northeast corner of Fifth and Huron, inside sidewalk crossing and south of large spruce tree, facing southwest

Collection info: Sturgis Collection

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Riot Course


Riot Course

A Student of the U. of M. "Riot Course" returning from a recitation

Frame location: Northeast corner wall, just east of Main on Liberty

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Pig Bowl, Ann Arbor Police vs Washtenaw Sherriffs, 1970


Pig Bowl, Ann Arbor Police vs Washtenaw Sherriffs, 1970
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Syndicate content