Bethel A.M.E. Church


Bethel A.M.E. Church

Bethel A.M.E. Churchwas at 632 North Fourth Avenue from 1895 to 1971. In the late 1940s Rosemarion Alexander Blake became City Hall's first female black office worker.

Frame location: Corner of North Fifth Avenue and Detroit Street

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Guy Larcom plants a tree on Arbor Day 1965


Guy Larcom plants a tree on Arbor Day 1965

Guy Larcom (with shovel), Ann Arbor's first city administrator, plants a tree on Arbor Day 1965 as Mayor Cecil Creal (far left) and other city officials look on. In 1998 City Hall was named in Larcom's honor.

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Protesters at the New City Hall, 1963


Protesters at the New City Hall, 1963

The 1963 City Hall, designed by architect Alden Dow, became an instant magnet for demonstrations. Even before landscaping was completed, picketers began protesting to end discrimination in rental housing based on race, creed, color, or national origin. Passage that year of the first fair-housing ordinance in the state reflected Ann Arbor's concern for civil rights and social issues. In 1956 a new charter had replaced a government run primarily by citizen committees with a professional staff led by a city administrator. A variety of municipal services — public housing, historic preservation, recycling, golf courses, and swimming pools — responded not only to population expansion, but also to new ideas of the role of local government. The new building gathered city departments, including police and the district court, at one location, but within two decades discussions began about additions or replacement.

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



IMG_8235


IMG_8235
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



IMG_8236


IMG_8236
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



site8_wall_images


site8_wall_images
Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Ann Arbor's first City Hall, 1907-1963


Ann Arbor's first City Hall, 1907-1963

Completed in 1907, Ann Arbor's first City Hall provided first-floor office space for expanding public services and a council chamber above. The eight-man Police Department had a separate entrance on Fifth Avenue. The Fire Department was already located across Huron Street in the landmark 1882 Firemen's Hall. After incorporation in 1833, the village council met sporadically in the Courthouse office of Ann Arbor's founder, John Allen, the first village president. Ordinances adopted at the first meeting dealt with matters of public safety, such as the discharge of firearms, and hogs and dogs running wild. In 1836 the village established a volunteer fire department. Putting out fires and providing cistern water to fight them cost over a third of the village's total 1848 income of $2,152. The village hired workers to ring the Presbyterian church bell to mark the hours, erect and light street lamps around the Courthouse, and repair the dirt streets. The 1851 charter made the village a city governed by a mayor and aldermen with enlarged taxing powers. The first paid police force was organized in 1871, funded by license fees on saloons and billiard tables, which were considered "sources of disorder." Until 1895 the city continued to lease space in the County Courthouse. Expanding services then made it necessary to rent offices on North Fourth Avenue in the new "City Building" and by 1907 to build a new City Hall.

Frame location: On City Hall lawn, northeast corner of Fifth and Huron, inside sidewalk crossing and south of large spruce tree, facing southwest

Collection info: Sturgis Collection

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor District Library



Ann Arbor Police Department Cruiser


Ann Arbor Police Department Cruiser

Courtesy of Lt. Michael Logghe, the Ann Arbor Police Department and the City of Ann Arbor.

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor Police Department and the City of Ann Arbor



Ann Arbor Police Department Garage underneath City Hall


Ann Arbor Police Department Garage underneath City Hall

Courtesy of Lt. Michael Logghe, the Ann Arbor Police Department and the City of Ann Arbor.

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor Police Department and the City of Ann Arbor



Ann Arbor Police Department Motorcycle Officers in front of Old City Hall, circa 1940


Ann Arbor Police Department Motorcycle Officers in front of Old City Hall, circa 1940

Courtesy of Lt. Michael Logghe, the Ann Arbor Police Department and the City of Ann Arbor.

Hey, were you looking for the Summer Game code? You found it! Enter MOTORCYCLECOPISASWEETNOTHING? on your play.aadl.org player page for your badge.

Rights Held By: 
Ann Arbor Police Department and the City of Ann Arbor



Syndicate content