University School of Music Building, 325 Maynard St.
"In 1893, about two hundred citizens of Ann Arbor formed a School of Music Building Association, buying shares of stock in the total amount of $25,000, to erect a building at 325 Maynard Street. In 1916, the original building was reconfigured and heavily remodeled, to appear as it does in this photograph. The west end of the Nickels Arcade then went up next door, abutting the Music School on the south. Brick on the new facade was laid in alternating courses of stringers and headers, with half-timbering above -- Tudor-style ornament that closely matched the woodwork on the the home of Albert Lockwood, at 700 Oxford Road, which was built in 1910. In 1925, ownership of the School of Music Building was transferred to the University Musical Society. This building was torn down in 1965, after the school had moved to its present location on North Campus. At left is the old Ann Arbor Press Building, which was demolished soon after, clearing the site for construction of an addition to Jacobson's department store (now Borders) and the parking structure above. The Nickels Arcade remains, but an alleyway -- "Ant Alley" -- now runs along its north wall." ~Wystan Stevens