Comics Are Great! 45 – Balancing Act
Making comics is a time-consuming and challenging endeavor, especially when you try to balance your personal life, paying gigs, and passion projects. I’m joined by Skottie Young and Katie Cook for a discussion on the lifestyle of a working cartoonist and strategies to stay on top of one’s career, finding time for personal projects, all while still being present for friends and family.
We’re joined at the end by Eli Neiburger of the Ann Arbor District Library for some final thoughts and book recommendations.
Links mentioned in this episode (thanks to Eric Klooster for collecting them!):
- Scatterwood, a comic by Skottie Young and Scott Morse
- Skottie Young’s 2012 Manifesto
- Skottie’s FAQ
- Gronk, a weekly webcomic by Katie Cook
- The Traveling Wilburys
- Doug TenNapel
- Ramón Pérez
- Big Cartel
- Epic Win productivity app
Comics and book recommendations:
- Jim Henson’s Tale of Sand
- Shutterbug Follies
- Organizing from the Inside Out for Teenagers
- Breathing Space: Living and Working at a Comfortable Pace in a Sped-Up Society
- How to Be Organized in Spite of Yourself: Time and Space Management that Works with Your Personal Style
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection Volume 1
To download the episode right-click link below and save link as...