- Published: New York : First Second, 2013.
- Year Published: 2013
- Edition: First edition.
- Description: 170 pages: chiefly illustrations ; 22 cm
- Language: English
- Format: Graphic Novel
Recently Listed On
- Reading 'Round the World
- Graphic novels for and starring teen girls
- Booklist's Top 10 Graphic Novels For Youth 2014
- Eisner Award Nominated Comics/Graphic Novels 2014
- The A.V. Club's Best Comics of 2013: Graphic Novels and Art Comics
- Award-Winning Books for Guys (Reading Level Range: Grades 6-12)
- Publisher's Weekly Best Books 2013, Comics
- Graphic Novel Reporter's Best of 2013
- Library Journal's Best Books 2013: Graphic Novels
- Top 10 Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults 2014
graphic novel national book award for young people's literature finalist christians boxer rebellion china historical fiction magical realism converts
Login to add tags
There are no copies available and 1 request on 2 copies
Where To Find It
Call number: Teen Graphic Novel / Boxers
Reviews & Summaries
Saints should be read in conjunction with Boxers. Together this pair of graphic novels dip into the history of the Boxer Rebellion, and are told from different perspectives. They both rely on magical realism. This one is written from the perspective of the Chinese Christians (who are called ‘secondary devils’ because of their affiliation with the ‘foreign devils’). Boxers gives the point of view of the native Chinese who fight to overcome the ruling dynasty and rid the country of foreigners (the Boxers). They are parallel in time and overlap in a few places in terms of plot points and characters. One of the most interesting aspects is how certain characters gain more depth once you read both books.
Login to write a review of your own.