- Published: New York : Random House/Listening Library, p2013.
- Year Published: 2013
- Edition: Unabridged.
- Description: 6 sound discs (7 hrs., 12 min.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Language: English
- Format: Book on CD
- Atomic bomb -- History.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service -- Soviet Union.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service -- Great Britain.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Commando operations -- Norway -- Vemork.
- Operation Freshman, 1942.
- Atomic bomb -- History. -- Germany
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service.
Recently Listed On
Login to add tags
Bomb : the race to build and steal the world's most dangerous weapon
There are currently 4 available
Where To Find It
Call number: Y BOCD 623.451 Sh
Available Copies: Downtown Youth, Malletts Youth, Pittsfield Youth, West Youth
Three-way race -- Chain reactions -- How to build an atomic bomb -- Final assembly.
Read by Roy Samuelson.
Recounts the scientific discoveries that enabled atom splitting, the military intelligence operations that occurred in rival countries, and the work of brilliant scientists hidden at Los Alamos.
Reviews & Summaries
I suspect it's because I was already familiar with this history that I do not rate it as highly as some. Also, I listened to this as a BOCD, and did not enjoy the reader. He sounded too robotic. Perhaps this is also why I didn't find it that compelling as a narrative - not that it was boring, but it's also not the best science or history writing I've ever encountered. Apparently the print edition includes maps and photos and such - I'm going to have to get that from the library so I can see what I missed! Also, at times I was losing track of dates and chronology - i would have been able to keep track better if I'd seen it in print (ymmv; i remember those kinds of details better if I see them).
Login to write a review of your own.