- Published: [New York] : Culver City, Calif. : Sony Pictures Classics ; Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 
- Year Published: 2013
- Description: 1 videodisc (ca. 87 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Language: English
- Format: DVD
- Bendjelloul, Malik, 1977-
- Chinn, Simon.
- Rodriguez, Sixto.
- Segerman, Stephen.
- Bartholomew-Strydom, Craig.
- Red Box Films.
- Passion Pictures (Firm)
- Canfield Pictures (Firm)
- Documentary Company (London, England)
- Sony Pictures Classics (Firm)
- Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (Firm)
- Rodriguez, Sixto.
- Folk musicians -- Michigan -- Detroit.
- Popular music -- 1961-1970.
- Popular music -- 1971-1980.
- Folk musician -- Biography.
- Biographical films.
- Documentary films.
- Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Recently Listed On
Login to add tags
Searching for Sugar Man
There are currently 9 available
Where To Find It
Call number: DVD 782.421 Se
Available Copies: Downtown 1st Floor, Downtown Storage Adult, Pittsfield Adult, Traverwood Adult
Originally produced as a motion picture in 2012.
Special features: commentary with Malik Bendjelloul and Rodriguez; making Sugar Man; an evening with Malik Bendjelloul and Rodriguez; theatrical trailer.
In the early 1970s, Sixto Rodriguez was a Detroit folksinger who had a short-lived recording career. Unknown to him, his musical story continued in South Africa where he became a pop music icon. Long rumored there to be dead, two fans, record store owner Stephen Segerman and journalist Craig Bartholomew-Strydom, decided to seek out the truth of his fate.
DVD; region 1; anamorphic widescreen (1.78) presentation; Dolby Digital 5.1.
This documentary was mostly filmed on an iPhone, and it is a phenomenal testament to the strange beauty of life and how talent and wisdom can exist in the least likely of places, how what we put out into the world can have a much larger effect than we realize, and how sometimes it can take nothing more than a little determination to make the best stories known. Everyone, especially Michiganders, should see this movie.
Login to write a review of your own.