- Published: New York : Harper, c2012.
- Year Published: 2012
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 360 p. ; 24 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Dickens, Charles, -- 1812-1870 -- Fiction.
- Todd, Sweeney (Legendary character)
- Humorous stories.
- London (England) -- Fiction. -- History -- 19th century
- Great Britain -- Fiction. -- History -- Victoria, 1837-1901
Recently Listed On
- Challenging Reads for Younger Readers - grades 5 and Up
- Margaret A. Edwards Award (Teen)
- Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults 2014
- Charles Dickens in Fact and Fiction
- Humor - Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Others
- Nerd Family media
- Skulduggery Pleasant Read Alikes
- 2013 Printz Award Winners
- Printz Award Honor Books, 2000-2014
Login to add tags
There are currently 5 available
Where To Find It
Available Copies: Downtown Teen, Pittsfield Teen, Traverwood Teen
"In an alternative version of Victorian London, a seventeen-year-old Dodger, a cunning and cheeky street urchin, unexpectedly rises in life when he saves a mysterious girl, meets Charles Dickens, and unintentionally puts a stop to the murders of Sweeny Todd"-- Provided by publisher.
So I'll just call it as I found it:
Its a 'nice' read. Not so much a 'whodunnit' as a 'come along for the ride and let's see what happens in this new world of Mr Pratchett's devising.' Not laugh out loud funny, but certainly worthy of the occasional smile. The historical liberties taken are both gentle and generally useful. I've read many of Mr Pratchett's books time and time again. Would I re-read this one? Most likely not... but I'm happy enough to have read it the once.
It doesn't hold the one-off witticisms that a Discworld novel has, but is a comfortable and fun read.
Pratchett fans should enjoy Dodger as it joins his growing lexicon of 'outside' books, such as The Nation (which is probably better than this). Fans of 'Flashman' and other 'historical reimaginism' novels should check this out, as should anyone into the Les Mis sewer scenes or Gaiman's Neverwhere.
Login to write a review of your own.