- Published: New York : Roaring Brook Press, c2012.
- Year Published: 2012
- Description: 266 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 920
- Atomic bomb -- History.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service -- Soviet Union.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service -- Great Britain.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Commando operations -- Norway -- Vemork.
- Operation Freshman, 1942.
- Atomic bomb -- History. -- Germany
Recently Listed On
- Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Award (Youth)
- Suggested Book Group items-2014
- 2013 Thumbs Up! Award Nominees
- May School Visits 2013 - Sharon MS
- Mock Printz 2013 Goodreads
- Recipients of the Cybils Award
- Nominees for the National Book Award for Young People's Literature
Login to add tags
Bomb : the race to build and steal the world's most dangerous weapon
There are no copies available
Recounts the scientific discoveries that enabled atom splitting, the military intelligence operations that occurred in rival countries, and the work of brilliant scientists hidden at Los Alamos.
Reviews & Summaries
I suspect it's because I was already familiar with this history that I do not rate it as highly as some. I didn't find it that compelling as a narrative - not that it was boring, but it's also not the best science or history writing I've ever encountered. I listened to it as a book on CD; if you do that also grab this print edition since it includes maps and photos and such.
It deserved the Newbery Honors it got!
Login to write a review of your own.