- Published: Somerville, Mass. : Candlewick Press, 2012.
- Year Published: 2012
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 384 p. ; 23 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 670
- Puppets -- Fiction.
- Orphans -- Fiction.
- Kidnapping -- Fiction.
- Witches -- Fiction.
- Blessing and cursing -- Fiction.
- London (England) -- Fiction. -- History -- 19th century
- Great Britain -- Fiction. -- History -- Victoria, 1837-1901
- Adventure stories.
- Fantasy fiction.
- Historical fiction.
Recently Listed On
- Scary Books for Kids & Young Adults
- May School Visits 2013 Rachel - grades 4-5
- Y Fiction to Check out of the library
- Newbery 2013 Contenders
Login to add tags
Splendors and glooms
There are currently 6 available
Where To Find It
Available Copies: Downtown Youth, Malletts Youth, Pittsfield Youth
When Clara vanishes after the puppeteer Grisini and two orphaned assistants were at her twelfth birthday party, suspicion of kidnapping chases the trio away from London and soon the two orphans are caught in a trap set by Grisini's ancient rival, a witch with a deadly inheritance to shed before it is too late.
Reviews & Summaries
Three children fall under the influence of an evil sorcerer/puppeteer and must rely on themselves and each other to survive. If you wanted you could fit the children neatly into standard cliches - poor little rich girl, plucky orphan, etc - but that never turns out to be a bother because the characters are so well-developed and sympathetic that they never seem like cliches. The story takes place in a rather Dickensian universe, but is fresh and original. A very satisfying read.
Reads like a better plotted, child's version of The Night Circus.
Login to write a review of your own.