- Published: New York : Scholastic, 2011.
- Year Published: 2011
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 324 p. : ill., map ; 20 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 740
- School integration -- Fiction.
- Race relations -- Fiction.
- African Americans -- Fiction.
- Family life -- Fiction. -- Virginia
- Diaries -- Fiction.
- Virginia -- Fiction. -- History -- 20th century
Recently Listed On
- 6th grade and 7th grade Historical Fiction
- Mighty Girls Fiction and Non-fiction!
- HiLo: Adults - reading 4th to 6th grade levels
- Journal Style Children's Historical Fiction
- Children's Diary and Journal Narratives
- LINKS Fourth and Fifth Grades
- Children's Books by African American Authors
Login to add tags
With the might of angels : the diary of Dawnie Rae Johnson
There are currently 3 available
Where To Find It
Call number: Y Fiction
Available Copies: Downtown Youth, Pittsfield Youth, Traverwood Youth
"Hadley, Virginia, 1954"--Cover.
In 1955 Hadley, Virginia, twelve-year-old Dawnie Rae Johnson, a tomboy who excels at baseball and at her studies, becomes the first African American student to attend the all-white Prettyman Coburn school, turning her world upside down. Includes historical notes about the period.
I really enjoyed this book because it was one of the few books that I read that teach me an important lesson that I will always use for the rest of my life. I learned from peoples mistakes and learned about actual events that happened in real life. I think people of all ages will enjoy this book and I hope they learn the lessons I have learned about racism and hope.
Login to write a review of your own.