- Published: New York : Dial Books for Young Readers, 2012.
- Year Published: 2012
- Description: 1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill. ; 29 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 910
- Kamkwamba, William, -- 1987
- Mechanical engineers -- Biography. -- Malawi
- Windmills -- Malawi.
- Electric power production -- Malawi.
- Irrigation -- Malawi.
Recently Listed On
- May School Visits 2013 Rachel - grades 2-3
- Picture Book Biographies
- May School Visits 2012 Vicki K-5
- Picture Book History - African-American stories
Login to add tags
The boy who harnessed the wind
There are currently 4 available
Where To Find It
Call number: E KAM
Available Copies: Downtown Youth PicBks, Malletts Youth Picture Books, Pittsfield Youth PicBks, Traverwood Youth PicBks
"When 14-year-old William Kamkwamba's Malawi village was hit by a drought in 2001, everyone's crops began to fail. His family didn't have enough money for food, let alone school, so William spent his days in the library. He came across a book on windmills and figured out how to build a windmill that could bring electricity to his village. Everyone thought he was crazy but William persevered and managed to create a functioning windmill out of junkyard scraps. Several years later he figured out how to use the windmill for irrigation purposes"
Reviews & Summaries
No reviews have been written yet. You could be the first!
Login to write a review of your own.