- Published: Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, c2010.
- Year Published: 2010
- Description: x, 120 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- United States. -- Bureau of Light-Houses.
- Women lighthouse keepers -- History. -- Michigan
- Women lighthouse keepers -- Biography. -- Michigan
- Lighthouses -- History. -- Michigan
- Lighthouse keepers -- History. -- Michigan
- Lighthouse keepers -- Biography. -- Michigan
- Women lighthouse keepers -- History.
- Women lighthouse keepers -- Biography.
Recently Listed On
Login to add tags
Ladies of the lights : Michigan women in the U.S. Lighthouse Service
There are currently 3 available
Where To Find It
Call number: 386.855 Ma
Available Copies: Downtown 2nd Floor, Malletts Adult, Traverwood Adult
Female lighthouse keepers: a brief history -- Michigan: home to the most female keepers -- Typical duties of a lighthouse keeper -- How did women get appointed to keeper positions? -- What drew women to this work? -- What special hardships did women face? -- Were any female keepers also mothers? -- Were female keepers treated differently than male keepers? -- What were the contributions of wives of male keepers? -- How long did female keepers serve? -- Sixteen who served -- An interview with Frances (Wuori Johnson) Marshall -- Epilogue.
Reviews & Summaries
No reviews have been written yet. You could be the first!
Login to write a review of your own.