- Published: New York : First Second, 2010.
- Year Published: 2010
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 151 p. : chiefly col. ill. ; 22 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Graphic Novel
- Lexile: 250
- 9781596433663 (pbk.)
- 1596433663 (pbk.)
Recently Listed On
- YA about teen girls
- Graphic novels for and starring teen girls
- Comics and other items recommended on Comics Are Great!
- Great Graphic Novels for Teens 2011
- Boarding Schools to Summer Camps: YALSA 2013 Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults
- YALSA Top 10 Great Graphic Novels for Teens 2011
- Personal Faves:Teen/YA Books
- Stand Alone Teen Graphic Novels
- May School Visits 2011 - Sharon MS
Login to add tags
There are currently 2 available
Where To Find It
Call number: Teen Graphic Novel / Kim, Susan
Available Copies: Downtown Teen, 3rd Floor, Traverwood Teen
Lucas and Jenna are chosen to attend a camp that promises to turn delinquents into high achieving students, but when they arrive, they realize that the camp is not what it seems.
Reviews & Summaries
While the art of the book is bright, crisp and well-defined, the plot does not have the same distinction. A message at odds with the initial appeal of its protagonists and an overall lack of clarity undercuts the story. One might expect the kids to triumph over the camp counselors through their unique strengths as people, thus postulating that academic achievement isn't the only measure of a person's worth. Instead, they only manage to beat the strange system through a mix of hormones and artificially created smarts administered by the camp itself. Their victory has a ring of hollowness to it, because they had to undergo an unnatural personality overhaul in order to achieve it. The motivations for, and mechanics of, the grotesque changes caused in the campers remain vague, to the point where it's unclear whether Jenna and Lucas have really saved anyone from anything. However, the book's art, excellent pacing, and startling twists bolster its quality, making for a solidly enjoyable reading experience.
Login to write a review of your own.