- Published: New York : Hyperion Books, 2009.
- Year Published: 2009
- Description: 401 p.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Luxenberg, Steve -- Family.
- Adult children of aging parents -- Case studies. -- Family relationships
- Mothers and sons -- Case studies.
- Sisters -- Case studies. -- Family relationships
- Inmates of institutions -- Case studies. -- Family relationships -- Michigan
- Family secrets -- Case studies.
Recently Listed On
biography michigan notable book books set in michigan patients relationships secrets family institutions children asylum steve luxenberg michigan authors memoir ktctoread siblings sisters mothers inmates
Login to add tags
Annie's ghosts : a journey into a family secret
There are no copies available and 16 requests on 5 copies
Where To Find It
Call number: 306.875 Lu
I was struck by not just the story of the writer's search to uncover his Mother's secret, but the sub story of Eloise, the setting that housed thousands of "inmates", AKA people who may have had a disability. Eloise was located right in Detroit, so that fascinated me. It employed thousands of people, as well. It was like a huge city, with its own livestock farm, cannery, dairy cows, RIGHT in Detroit! It was demonstrative of how different the mental health system is now. In good ways.
I read this when I participated in the community reads program from another library. It's one of the first Non-fiction, other than books for school, that I have read. I thought it was well written and rather interesting... AND THE AUTHOR IS FROM FLINT, MI!
Login to write a review of your own.