- Published: New York : Clarion Books, c2007.
- Year Published: 2007
- Description: 264 p. ; 24 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 990
- 9780618724833 (hc.)
- 0618724834 (hc.)
- 9781428739239 (BWI bdg.)
- 1428739238 (BWI bdg.)
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616. -- Fiction.
- Coming of age -- Fiction.
- Junior high schools -- Fiction.
- Family life -- Fiction. -- Long Island (N.Y.)
- Long Island (N.Y.) -- Fiction. -- History -- 20th century
Recently Listed On
- Cool Kids books
- Popular Teen Historical Fiction
- Challenging Reads for grades 5 and Up
- Tween Book Discussion
- The Swinging Sixties for Teens
- local authors
- AAPS Reading Level X
- historical fiction
- 20th Century America Historical Fiction for Teens
Login to add tags
The Wednesday wars
There are no copies available and 2 requests on 6 copies
During the 1967 school year, on Wednesday afternoons when all his classmates go to either Catechism or Hebrew school, seventh-grader Holling Hoodhood stays in Mrs. Baker's classroom where they read the plays of William Shakespeare and Holling learns much of value about the world he lives in.
Reviews & Summaries
Shakespeare, flower children, voracious rats, cream puffs, bullying, baseball, cross-country, Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy, parental kindness (or lack thereof) - this book's got it all. It's wonderful. I think I like it even more than Schmidt's 2011 book, "Okay for Now", which features a minor character from "The Wednesday Wars".
Recommended for ages 9-15, especially boys.
The bad: many of the scenarios are far fetched at best and they don't need to be. The book sells itself as an historical fiction, but some events are practically out of a cartoon, and this made me care less about the characters because they lost that realness factor. Also, it's not totally clear whether the author is writing for adults or for teens. I doubt that teens would care much about all the Shakespeare quotes or get much out of them, especially as 5th-6th grader readers who haven't read the plays themselves.
Login to write a review of your own.