- Published: Oxford ; New York : David Fickling Books, 2006.
- Year Published: 2006
- Edition: 1st American ed.
- Description: 216 p.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 1080
- 0385751079 (lib. bdg.)
- 0385751060 (pbk.)
- Auschwitz (Concentration camp) -- Fiction.
- Concentration camps -- Fiction. -- Poland
- Nazis -- Fiction.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Fiction.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Fiction. -- Jews
Recently Listed On
- Historical Fiction - Librarians' Choice for High School
- Popular Teen Historical Fiction
- The War-Torn Fourties for Teens
- Best Lists
- Winners of the Young Reader's Choice Award: Intermediate Winners
- Checkout History
- Holocaust Readings
- My Wishlist
- possibly read sometime
Login to add tags
The boy in the striped pajamas : a fable
There is currently 1 available
Where To Find It
Call number: Teen Fiction
Available Copies: Pittsfield Teen
Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.
Reviews & Summaries
Because the story is told through Bruno, his innocence is reflected as he tries to imagine why his friend and hundreds of other people are living inside the fence and why they all wear the same black and white striped pajamas. He eventually learns that they are Jewish and he is not, but he still never seems to understand the reason they are divided. The friendship they form is sweet and innocent, although his Jewish friend knows more than he lets on to Bruno but somehow doesn't seem to want to frighten or disappoint his new found friend.
This book will open questions as to what really happened during this time in our history, but is a great introduction to discussing the impact of World War II on citizens of every age, race and religion. A great story with a surprise ending!
Login to write a review of your own.