- Published: [United States] : Burbank, CA : BBC Video ; Distributed by Warner Home Video , 2005.
- Year Published: 2005
- Description: 1 videodisc (ca. 104 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Language: English
- Format: DVD
- 1419814508 :
- Langridge, Richard.
- Barnes, Peter, 1931-
- Bates, Alan, 1934-2003.
- Peck, Bob, 1945-
- Paterson, Bill, 1945-
- Walter, Harriet.
- Grant, Richard E., 1935-
- Deutsch, Stephen.
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870.
- British Broadcasting Corporation.
- WGBH Educational Foundation.
- BBC Video (Firm)
- Warner Home Video (Firm)
- Dickens, Charles, -- 1812-1870 -- Film and video adaptations.
- London (England) -- Drama. -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- Made-for-TV movies.
- Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Recently Listed On
Login to add tags
There is currently 1 available
Where To Find It
Call number: DVD Drama Hard
Available Copies: Downtown 1st Floor
Based on the novel by Charles Dickens.
Special features: "The signalman".
Alan Bates, Bob Peck, Bill Paterson, Harriet Walter, Richard E. Grant.
Local MP and schoolmaster Thomas Gradgrind raises his children, Louisa and Tom, in the utilitarian fashion, stressing reason and fact and dismissing imagination and emotion. Under his influence, Louisa grows cold while Tom turns to a secret life of drinking and gambling. To be nearer her brother, Louisa accepts an offer of marriage from his boss, the self-made, self-important banker Josiah Bounderby, though she does not love him. But soon finds herself succumbing to the attentions of the lothario James Harthouse. All the while, Mrs. Sparsit, a former aristocrat who now works for Bounderby, obsessively watches as the drama unfolds, longing for Louisa's downfall.
DVD, full screen (4x3) presentation; Dolby Digital.
No reviews have been written yet. You could be the first!
Login to write a review of your own.