- Published: New York : H. Holt, 2004.
- Year Published: 2004
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 415 p.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- 0805071458 :
- 0805079335 (softcover)
- Sweet, Ossian, -- 1895-1960 -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- Darrow, Clarence, -- 1857-1938.
- Trials (Murder) -- Michigan -- Detroit.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- History -- 20th century. -- Michigan -- Detroit
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- History -- 20th century.
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Race relations.
- United States -- Race relations.
Recently Listed On
michigan detroit AA ypsi reads finalist Ann arbor ypsi reads finalist segregation trials urban history ossian sweet national book award for nonfiction urban migration clarence darrow books set in michigan aa ypsi reads race relations national book award for nonfiction winner National Book Award (Nonfiction) civil rights national book critics circle award for general nonfiction finalist 1920s
Login to add tags
Arc of justice : a saga of race, civil rights, and murder in the Jazz Age
There are currently 3 available
Where To Find It
Call number: 345.025 Bo
Available Copies: Downtown 2nd Fl.
Reviews & Summaries
This is an amazing story of race relations in Detroit in the 1920s. So much is taught of the civil war, post war, and the 1950s-60s civil rights movement that it's easy to forget what racial problems were occurring in between. And there were problems. The story of Ossian Sweet and his family's ordeal in search of their preferred housing in segregated Detroit is astounding. A must read for local history.
Login to write a review of your own.