- Published: New York : H. Holt, 2004.
- Year Published: 2004
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 415 p.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- 0805071458 :
- 0805079335 (softcover)
- Sweet, Ossian, -- 1895-1960 -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- Darrow, Clarence, -- 1857-1938.
- Trials (Murder) -- Michigan -- Detroit.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- History -- 20th century. -- Michigan -- Detroit
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- History -- 20th century.
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Race relations.
- United States -- Race relations.
Recently Listed On
1920s aa ypsi reads segregation ossian sweet urban history National Book Award (Nonfiction) michigan national book award for nonfiction winner race relations AA ypsi reads finalist clarence darrow books set in michigan Ann arbor ypsi reads finalist urban migration trials civil rights detroit national book critics circle award for general nonfiction finalist
Login to add tags
Arc of justice : a saga of race, civil rights, and murder in the Jazz Age
There are no copies available
Reviews & Summaries
This is an amazing story of race relations in Detroit in the 1920s. So much is taught of the civil war, post war, and the 1950s-60s civil rights movement that it's easy to forget what racial problems were occurring in between. And there were problems. The story of Ossian Sweet and his family's ordeal in search of their preferred housing in segregated Detroit is astounding. A must read for local history.
Login to write a review of your own.