- Published: New York : H. Holt, 2004.
- Year Published: 2004
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Description: 415 p.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- 0805071458 :
- 0805079335 (softcover)
- Sweet, Ossian, -- 1895-1960 -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- Darrow, Clarence, -- 1857-1938.
- Trials (Murder) -- Michigan -- Detroit.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- History -- 20th century. -- Michigan -- Detroit
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- History -- 20th century.
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Race relations.
- United States -- Race relations.
Recently Listed On
national book award for nonfiction winner clarence darrow trials segregation civil rights national book critics circle award for general nonfiction finalist Ann arbor ypsi reads finalist books set in michigan urban history michigan detroit National Book Award (Nonfiction) ossian sweet AA ypsi reads finalist aa ypsi reads race relations urban migration national book award for nonfiction 1920s
Login to add tags
Arc of justice : a saga of race, civil rights, and murder in the Jazz Age
There are no copies available
Where To Find It
Call number: 345.025 Bo
Reviews & Summaries
This is an amazing story of race relations in Detroit in the 1920s. So much is taught of the civil war, post war, and the 1950s-60s civil rights movement that it's easy to forget what racial problems were occurring in between. And there were problems. The story of Ossian Sweet and his family's ordeal in search of their preferred housing in segregated Detroit is astounding. A must read for local history.
Login to write a review of your own.