- Published: [Irvington, NY] : Criterion Collection, 2003.
- Year Published: 2003
- Description: 2 videodiscs (136 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Language: Japanese
- Format: DVD
- Ozu, Yasujirō, 1903-1963.
- Noda, Kōgo, 1893-1968.
- Ryū, Chishū, 1904-1993.
- Higashiyama, Chiyeko.
- Yamamura, Sō, 1910-
- Sugimura, Haruko, 1909-1997.
- Hara, Setsuko, 1920-
- Kagawa, Kyōko.
- Osaka, Shiro.
- Inoue, Kazuo, 1924-
- Criterion Collection (Firm)
- Janus Films.
- Shōchiku Kabushiki Kaisha.
- Feature films.
- Aging parents -- Drama. -- Japan
- Parent and child -- Drama. -- Japan
- Conflict of generations -- Drama. -- Japan
- Feature films -- Japan.
- Motion pictures -- Japan.
- Japanese language materials.
- Foreign language films.
Recently Listed On
Login to add tags
Tōkyō monogatari : Tokyo story
There are currently 2 available
Where To Find It
Call number: DVD FLC-JPN Tokyo
Available Copies: Downtown 1st Floor, Traverwood Adult
Originally released as a motion picture in 1953.
Special features include: Audio commentary by David Desser ; original theatrical trailer ; Ikite wa mita keredo = I lived, but-- (1983 documentary about Ozu directed by Kazuo Inoue, 2 hrs.) ; Talking with Ozu (1993 tribute to the director, 40 min.) ; essay by David Bordwell.
Credits from English subtitles.
Setsuko Hara, Chishu Ryu, Chieko Higashiyama, Haruko Sugimura, So Yamamura, Kuniko Miyake, Kyoko Kagawa, Eijiro Tono, Nobuo Nakamura, Shiro Osaka, Hisao Toake, Teruko Nagaoka.
Tokyo Story follows an aging couple, Tomi and Sukichi, on their journey from their rural village to visit their two married children in bustling, post-war Tokyo. Their reception is disappointing: too busy to entertain them, their children send them off to a health spa. After Tomi falls ill she and Sukichi return home, while the children, grief-stricken, hasten to be with her.
No reviews have been written yet. You could be the first!
Login to write a review of your own.