- Published: New York : Scholastic Press, 1997.
- Year Published: 1997
- Description: 227 p. ; 20 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- 0590371258 :
- 0590360809 :
- Dust storms -- Fiction.
- Farm life -- Fiction. -- Oklahoma
- Depressions -- Fiction. -- 1929
- Poetry -- Fiction.
- Oklahoma -- Fiction.
Recently Listed On
- Newberys left to read
- Books in verse for kids
- children's books
- Children's Books
- 8th grade and 9th grade Historical Fiction
- 6th grade and 7th grade Historical Fiction
- Newbery Medal Winner
- Top 100 Children’s Novels by School Library Journal
- The Dirty Thirties for Teens
- TEENS: Young Adult Novels Written in Verse
Login to add tags
Out of the dust
There are currently 3 available
Where To Find It
Available Copies: Downtown Youth, Traverwood Youth
In a series of poems, fifteen-year-old Billie Jo relates the hardships of living on her family's wheat farm in Oklahoma during the dust bowl years of the Depression.
Reviews & Summaries
I do think that "Out of the Dust" is better for kids on the older edge of the Newbery award readers - the sudden death and grief in "Out of the Dust" are not easy topics, for either adults or kids.
But the beauty, redemption, and hope makes it worth it.
Login to write a review of your own.