- Published: New York : Scholastic Press, 1997.
- Year Published: 1997
- Description: 227 p. ; 20 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- 0590371258 :
- 0590360809 :
- Dust storms -- Fiction.
- Farm life -- Fiction. -- Oklahoma
- Depressions -- Fiction. -- 1929
- Poetry -- Fiction.
- Oklahoma -- Fiction.
Recently Listed On
- Books in verse for kids
- children's books
- Children's Books
- 8th grade and 9th grade Historical Fiction
- 6th grade and 7th grade Historical Fiction
- Newbery Medal Winner
- Top 100 Children’s Novels by School Library Journal
- The Dirty Thirties for Teens
- TEENS: Young Adult Novels Written in Verse
- Winners of the Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction
AAPS Level X dust newbery medal drought farm drought teen fiction karen hesse historical fiction children's poetry farm life poetry ALA Notable Children's Books 1998 oklahoma dust bowl scott o’dell award winner newbery medal winner newberry medal winner poems for kids hesse billie jo dust storms the depression depressions
Login to add tags
Out of the dust
There are no copies available
In a series of poems, fifteen-year-old Billie Jo relates the hardships of living on her family's wheat farm in Oklahoma during the dust bowl years of the Depression.
Reviews & Summaries
Well written and very descriptive
A great book about courage and forgiveness.
Login to write a review of your own.