- Published: Boston, MA : Houghton Mifflin, 1993.
- Year Published: 1993
- Description: 32 p. : col. ill. ; 30 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 650
- 0395570352 :
- Grandfathers -- Fiction.
- Voyages and travels -- Fiction.
- Homesickness -- Fiction.
- Japanese Americans -- Fiction.
Recently Listed On
- Elders and Kids
- New York Public Library's Top Children’s Books of the Last 100 Years
- Younger Kids - GrandMothers and GrandFathers
- to read
- Caldecott Medal Winner Books
- Top 100 Picture Books selected by School Library Journal
- New York Public Library's 100 Picture Books Everyone Should Know
- Picture Book History - World and Cultures
- Winners of the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award
- My Favorite Picture Books
Japanese-American caldecott medal winner homesickness Allen Say Caldecott medal immigration travel voyage journey grandfather American Japan caldecott
Login to add tags
by Say, Allen.
There are currently 3 available
A Japanese American man recounts his grandfather's journey to America which he later also undertakes, and the feelings of being torn by a love for two different countries.
Reviews & Summaries
Great book for kids and adults alike. Beautiful illustrations that earned a Caldecott Honor Book. Shows that cultures can be very different, but each can possess very positive qualities. Teaches children how life can be difficult for immigrants.
Login to write a review of your own.