- Published: Armonk, N.Y. : North Castle Books, 
- Year Published: 1996
- Edition: New ed. / with special introduction by the author.
- Description: 363 p. ; 23 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 990
- 156324599X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781563245992 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Spartacus, -- d. 71 B.C. -- Fiction.
- Slave insurrections -- Fiction.
- Revolutionaries -- Fiction.
- Gladiators -- Fiction.
- Rome -- History -- Fiction. -- Servile Wars, 135-71 B.C.
- Biographical fiction.
- Historical fiction.
Recently Listed On
Login to add tags
There is currently 1 available
Where To Find It
Call number: Fiction
Available Copies: Downtown 1st Floor
Spartacus, a fictionalization of a slave revolt in ancient Rome in 71 B.C., is well known today partly because of the 1960 movie starring Kirk Douglas and Laurence Olivier. It was originally published in 1951 by the author himself, after being turned down by every mainstream publisher of the day because of Fast's blacklisting for his Communist Party sympathies. The story of Spartacus, born a slave, trained as a gladiator, who led a slave revolt that was eventually put down by Crassus, was immensely popular, has sold millions of copies, and has gone through nearly a hundred editions. The appearance of this title in the North Castle series brings back into print a book that many regard as a classic, and is enhanced with a new Introduction by the author.
No reviews have been written yet. You could be the first!
Login to write a review of your own.