- Published: New York : HarperTrophy, 1989, c1969.
- Year Published: 1969
- Description: 213 p. ; 18 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 920
- Brothers and sisters -- Fiction.
- Families -- Fiction.
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Fiction.
Recently Listed On
- summertime readings
- Y Fiction to Check out of the library
- Nominees for the National Book Award for Young People's Literature
- AAPS Reading Level Y
Login to add tags
Where the lilies bloom
There are currently 5 available
Where To Find It
Call number: Y Fiction / Cleaver, Vera
Available Copies: Downtown Youth, Malletts Youth, Pittsfield Youth, Traverwood Youth
Mary Call has promised her dying father to keep her brother and sisters together forever on the mountain, and never to take any help from strangers. She is determined to keep her word. No matter what. At first she is sure she can manage. Romey, Ima Dean, and Devola help gather herbs to sell in town; the riches of the mountains will surely keep the family clothed and fed. But then winter comes, fast and furious, and Mary Call has to learn that the land where the lilies bloom is also a cruel and unforgiving place, and it may take more than a promise to keep her family together.
No reviews have been written yet. You could be the first!
Login to write a review of your own.