- Published: New York : Putnam, 1989.
- Year Published: 1989
- Description:  p. : col. ill. ; 22 x 27 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 800
- 039921920X :
Recently Listed On
- My 3-Year Old Recommends: Picture Books
- Best Illustrations
- Gentle Folk Tales
- Ms. Amanda's Storytimes - Winter 2014-2015
- PreK Bits - WINTER stories for 1-6 yrs
- Ms. Amanda's Storytimes - Winter 2013-2014
- Favorite Children's Books
- Top 100 Picture Books selected by School Library Journal
- Checkout History
- Books For My Bebe
white mitten great artwork layering hedgehog folk tale ukraine expanding Jan Brett winter animals winter mitten hedgie
Login to add tags
The mitten : a Ukrainian folktale
There is currently 1 available and 1 request on 11 copies
Where To Find It
Available Copies: Downtown Youth
Several animals sleep snugly in Nicki's lost mitten until the bear sneezes.
Reviews & Summaries
Jan Brett's wonderful art adds humor to this adaptation of a Ukrainian folk tale. As you read it aloud to your child, point out how the illustrations along the edges show what Nicki is doing during the story, and also foreshadow what will happen on the next page (up until the explosive climax, which is rather hard to predict if you aren't familiar with the convention of this tale). Help them learn to predict what will happen next!
This is a wonderfully typical Jan Brett creation containing beautiful, colorful, detailed illustrations and a delightful story line. Jan takes advantage of Ukrainian folklore for the story. I recommend this book.
Login to write a review of your own.