- Published: Boston : Little, Brown, c1938.
- Year Published: 1938
- Description: 138 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Language: English
- Format: Book
- Lexile: 910
- 0316058432 (pbk.)
- 0316058424 :
- 0440459346 :
Recently Listed On
- Challenging Reads for Young Readers
- children's books
- J's Summer List
- New York Public Library's Top Children’s Books of the Last 100 Years
- Favorite Children's Books
- Books my second grade boy loves
- Winners of the Young Reader's Choice Award: Youth Winners
- Children's Books
- Read alouds for older boys (and maybe girls, too)
- Favorite Family Read-Alouds
captin cook go newbery antarctic training atwater animals newbery honor book performing esmekelly-good AAPS Level O so many penguins vaudeville trained animals penguins
Login to add tags
Mr. Popper's penguins
There are currently 6 available
Where To Find It
Available Copies: Downtown Youth, Malletts Youth, Pittsfield Youth, Traverwood Youth
my second grade teacher read it to my class as a read aloud. we all loved it
I read this book as a child and it made me want to have a penguin as a pet. Good book for kids.
I just finished reading this as a read-aloud bedtime story for my kids. I loved this book as a child, and I was surprised to realize how dated it is. The story is fun, but I was shocked at the portrayal of Mrs. Popper, clearly a character from a different time when women were viewed very differently. I was also surprised at how unrealistic many parts of the story are, and it struck me that I never understood that when I read it as a child and took the story at face value. But my kids seemed to enjoy it just as much as I did when I was as young as they are.
Login to write a review of your own.