Casual Staff Position
|Pay Range:||$9.92 - $10.71|
|Hours:||Part-Time, minimum of 16 hours per week and maximum of 19 hours per week, as determined by library needs, including evening and weekend hours.|
|Closing Date:||continuously accepting applications (Application form Required)|
Under the direction of the Circulation Manager and the supervision of the Circulation Supervisor, the Circulation/Branch Clerk is responsible for serving the public and performing a variety of clerical duties. Will be required to work evenings and weekend hours as part of the regular work schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following; other duties as assigned:
- Serves the public at the circulation desk by checking-out and checking-in library materials, collecting fines, issuing library cards, etc.
- Handles cash register transactions and prepares bank deposits with accuracy
- Utilizes Library's on-line computer system for various circulation services and functions.
- Answers Library users' questions and handles everyday problems involving interpretation of the Library's circulation policies and procedures in person and on the telephone.
- Provides general information to Library users regarding overall Library services and actively promotes Library programs.
- Shares responsibility for the smooth running of the circulation desk including maintaining a prompt and reliable attendance record.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining the facility's appearance and preparedness for business.
- Attends department and other meetings as scheduled.
Minimum Qualifications include:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or six or more months of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows protocol.
- Strong commitment to excellent public service; friendly, energetic, and adaptable.
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Interpersonal and judgment skills necessary to work effectively with Library users, staff and visitors.
- Ability to assume responsibility and work neatly, efficiently and accurately without direct supervision.
- Ability to bend, reach and lift up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to work standing for up to 8 hours a day and to move efficiently between tasks with continued attention to detail.
Preferred Qualifications include:
- Successful experience working in a library or other public service/retail organization.
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience using the Innovative Millenium online Circulation System.
This is a non-union, at-will position.
The above is intended to describe the major responsibilities and requirements for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, please submit a completed employment application form with optional cover letter and resume to:
Ann Arbor District Library
343 South Fifth Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Application forms are available on the first floor of the Downtown Library on South Fifth Avenue, at each branch location, and at http://www.aadl.org/aboutus/employment
The Ann Arbor District Library is an EEO Employer.
The Ann Arbor District Library reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete and otherwise assign any and all duties,responsibilities, and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of its business