September 30, 2009 Minutes of the Board Retreat
ANN ARBOR DISTRICT LIBRARY BOARD
MINUTES OF THE BOARD RETREAT
DYKEMA, 2723 S. STATE STREET, ANN ARBOR, MI
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2009
10-058 I. CALL TO ORDER
President Head called the meeting to order at 3:40 p.m.
10-059 II. ATTENDANCE
Present: Head, Leary, Murphy, Barney Newman, Rosenthal, Stearns, Surovell
Staff: Choate, Grimes, Neiburger, Nieman, Parker
Others: Sandra Greenstone, Enliven Consulting
10-060 III. WELCOME AND OVERVIEW
President Head welcomed Board members and staff.
Director Parker gave a quick overview of how the current plan was developed in 2004.
Associate Director Nieman reported the fund balance is at $6.8 million. The 2009-2010 operating budget is just under $13 million. Income from property taxes is coming in as budgeted, however, if the tax base decreases as anticipated the millage rate will need to be increased or operating expenses will need to be decreased for the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 fiscal years.
Sandra Greenstone reviewed the agenda for the Board.
10-061 IV. STRATEGIC DATA AND TRENDS PRESENTATION
Associate Director Neiburger reported projected population demographic shifts from 18-35 to 65+. He stated that the library industry has seen declines with municipal and rural libraries taking the hardest hits. Technology has seen increased high speed media in your pocket, email has peaked,
ebook market is growing, and free is a dominant price point for content.
10-062 V. STRATEGIC PLAN PROGRESS REPORT
Associate Director Choate reported that all initiatives received strategic action for the 2004-2010 Strategic Plan.
10-063 VI. BOARD DISCUSSION
10-064 VII. RECESS FOR DINNER BREAK AT 5:45PM
The meeting recessed for a dinner break at 5:45 p.m.
10-065 VIII. RECONVENE MEETING AT 6:15PM
President Head reconvened the meeting at 6:15 p.m.
10-066 IX. STRATEGIC INITIATIVE RECOMMENDATIONS
Tim Grimes presented recommendations compiled by AADL Managers.
• Facility Use (Better utilize our meeting rooms and other facilities. Assess impact of garage)
• Organizational Service Development (strategic partnerships and collaboration)
• Economic Workforce Development (role in economic growth and recovery)
• Content Acquisition and Creation (digital content, changes in publishing, content rights)
• Identify and Address why people don’t use AADL
10-067 X. BOARD DISCUSSION
The Board reviewed internal and external forces that impact the library; worked to define the purpose of the library; how to move forward and identify the role of the library board.
10-068 XI. CONCLUSION
Sandra Greenstone outlined follow-up needed:
• Detailed charts staff presented will be forwarded to Board members
• Strategic Planning Committee scheduled to meet October 12th
• Board will receive an update at the October 19th regular meeting
• A Working Session will be scheduled at the November 16th Board Meeting (details TBD)
10-069 XII. ADJOURNMENT
President Head adjourned the meeting at 8:30 p.m.