Homer Chance; Ladies' Library Association Centennial Anniversary. April, 1966
LadiesÂ’ Library Association
In 1866 a group of Ann Arbor women formed a small subscription library to fill the need for a free, public library in Ann Arbor. Initially, they occupied a rented space above Main Street. Over time, their collection grew, and by 1885 they had purchased land and erected a building. The Ladies supported their endeavors with concerts, strawberry festivals and other fundraising activities, and soon amassed a sizable collection. In 1916, on the 50th anniversary of their association, the Ladies Library Association transferred their collection to the Ann Arbor Public School District. Since that time they have remained active supporters of the Library, using the income from their endowment to purchase a beautiful collection of art books for the Library, and to furnish the branches with original works of art.
Keywords: library, libraries, ann arbor, librarians, social life, Homer Chance
pictureAnnArbor: 1960s, Ann Arbor District Library, 1957-2007
Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ann Arbor District Library